Frequently Asked Questions
1) Why is hollow core board better then solid board?
Most composite deck board manufacturers offer only solid core boards. The main reason is due to the speed and ease of manufacturing of solid core boards vs. hollow core boards. Most of the manufacturers won’t bother with the difficulty or expend the extra time to extrude hollow boards. RUBICAB Projects is one of the few companies in Australia that offers a hollow board – our proprietary brand DECKO. The main reasons we chose to develop the hollow core are:
- the weight of a DECKO hollow board is as much as 32% lower than the weight of a solid board making the work with this board easier and faster and creating less stress on the substructure of the deck.
- the DECKO board is structurally as strong as the solid board and is installed with the same span.
- in the hot Australian climate, a common problem for outdoor lovers is the unbearably hot surface of their deck and heat expansion and contraction causing the boards to split, warp or bend. DECKO hollow boards receive that extra air ventilation providing a cooling effect to the whole deck and reducing the heat expansion and contraction occurrence.
- the most attractive reason for choosing the DECKO boards over the solid ones is the cost savings. Because the board is hollow and uses less material in the manufacturing process, the cost saved is passed on to the customer.
2) Why do you use aluminium foundations? Can you use other materials?
There are many benefits-> •Rot and Rustproof • Easy to cut • Anti corrosive • High malleability • Lightweight • Easy to fasten • No coating required • High ductility • 100% recyclable • Easy to transport • High strength to weight ratio • Competitively priced in Australia. You can use traditional galvanized or timber joists, bearers and posts. However, using these types of materials can cause corrosion, rusting and rotting.
3) Can you get longer DECKO board lengths?
Yes, you can. Depending on volume we can get any size you like. However, with all brands of composites there is some expansion and shrinkage depending on the temperature. The longer and thicker the product is the more it shrinks and expands. The 5.5m lengths can expand as much +/- 15mm. However, with our lengths you only get +/- 2mm. Also, it is important to note that solids expand more than the hollow composites.
4) Does the colour of DECKO boards fade?
Our composites have a solid colour throughout the structure, however, all composites exposed to the environmental elements, will undergo some minor fading. There is some initial weathering for the first few months and then the colour stabilizes itself. The change is only by a few shades and it is so gradual that you will not notice it. DECKO boards will never lose the entire colour. The deck should be cleaned regularly as dust and dirt will make the colour appearance much more lighter.
5) What is the Slip Rating of DECKO boards?
R10 Oil-Wet Inclining Platform Test Appendix D and P3 Wet Pendulum Test Appendix A AS 4586:2013
6) What is the fire rating of DECKO boards?
We are in the process of getting Bushfire Attack Level testing. We are expecting a BAL 29 and will update this FAQS when we have the report.
7) Can the cladding be installed vertically?
Yes, it can. Only some types of cladding are suitable though such as ECW WP-03, WP-04 and WP-05 models which interlock on both sides.
8) I want to DIY. Can you help me?
Yes, we can. We like to encourage all the handy people to have that satisfying feeling from a nicely accomplished project. That’s why we offer a full support. We will show you what needs to be done and how to do it to deliver the best outcome. Our professional experienced staff can come out on site for hands on tutorials. We provide detailed drawings, 3D visuals, photos to assist you with building your new deck.
9) What are DECKO boards made off?
DECKO boards are comprised of approximately 55% hardwood chips, 35% grade A recycled HDPE plastic and 10% anti- oxidation and bonding elements to enable extensive longevity of the composite. We only use recycled materials which supports in reducing deforestation and improving our ecosystem by saving thousands of tonnes of landfill every year.
10) Do you supply other complementary products such as patios, deck tiles, wall cladding, fencing, screens or balustrades?
Yes, we do. You can see our full range of products in the product section on our website. You can also match the colours and finishes of all your project so it looks just perfect!
11) How long is the warranty on RUBICAB materials?
RUBICAB Projects offers a simple to understand 10 year guarantee on all our DECKO composite wood products fit for residential purpose and 7 years warranty for commercial applications. Be aware that all the materials need to be installed per our specifications and be regularly maintenance as per our care & maintenance guide for the warranty to be valid.